Blueberry & Spinach Smoothie
When most people think of smoothies, they think of making all fruit drinks. But smoothies are a great vehicle to pack in vegetables and add antioxidants, vitamins and minerals – all nutrients that help the liver eliminate harmful substances. If you are not used to adding greens to a smoothie, don’t worry, you won’t even know that they’re there.
Servings: 2-Serving Size: 1 cup
- 1 cup almond, coconut, or ricemilk
- 3/4 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 medjool date, pitted
- 1T. ground flaxseeds
- 1 scoop protein powder
- 1-2 handfuls of spinach or kale
Blend all ingredients until desired consistency. Add a little water if a thinner consistency is desired.
- 3 cups cooked black beans (or 2 BPA free cans)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup finely chopped kale
- 2 cups finely chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1 tomato, diced
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 1 lime, juiced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro, more as desired
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 16 ounces hummus (homemade or organic store-bought)
- 32 ounces salsa, drained (I like Field Day brand)
- 1 cup goat cheese crumbled or shredded
- ½ cup chopped black olives
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the black beans in a bowl and add the cumin, chili powder and a few shakes of salt and pepper. With a masher or the back of a spoon slightly mash some of the black beans. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the kale, romaine, oil and garlic and massage the kale mix until it starts to soften. Set aside.
- In another bowl, place the avocado and mash with the back of a spoon. Add the tomato, onion, lime juice, cilantro and cayenne pepper. Mix and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- To assemble the dip, take a medium size bowl (try to find one with straight sides) and spread the black beans on the bottom. Top with the kale mix and then the guacamole. Next, carefully spread the hummus on top, followed by the salsa. Sprinkle the goat cheese, olives and scallions over the salsa. Serve with corn chips, crackers or veggie sticks. Enjoy!