This is worth the time and energy to prepare for a special someone named YOU! Enjoy it, share it with your loved ones, savor the incredible taste and know it is good for you!
Each month we include a recipe of the month in our e-newsletter. This was featured in the February, 2015 e-News. You can get these via e-mail each month if you subscribe.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 cup of Macadamia nuts
- ½ cup of Medjool dates (around 8) – soaked in warm water for 30 mins
- 2 tablespoons of Raw Honey
- ½ cup finely Shredded Coconut
- Pinch of salt
- 500ml Coconut Cream (leave in the fridge the night before to thicken) THAI (red can, not low fat)
- (you’ll only use 400ml for the cake, the rest for the frosting)
- 5 eggs (Why 5 and not 6? Because I’m awkward like that)
- ½ cup Cacao Powder I like this one
- ½ cup Coconut Sugar I like this one
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp bicarb soda (baking soda)
- Pinch salt
- 100mL Coconut Cream
- 8 soaked Medjool Dates
- 1 tablespoon Maple Syrup or Honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (320°F).
- In a food processor (or blender), blend the macadamias just until they are crumbly. Place them aside in a bowl.
- Next grab half a cup of medjool dates (around 8) and blend into a paste.
- Add back the crushed macadamias, 1 teaspoon vanilla essence, 1 tablespoon of honey, ½ cup of finely shredded coconut and a pinch of salt. Pulse until they are evenly combined.
- Grease the inside of a springform tin with butter or coconut oil.
- Firmly press the mixture down and even with the back end of a spoon.
- Smush it in there real good. Moving on.
- For the cake, whisk up 5 eggs.
- Add the 375mL of coconut cream and mix again.
- Then add in the 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence, ½ cup of cacao powder, ½ cup of coconut sugar, baking soda and another pinch of salt.
- When it’s all combined and mixed well and good, pour over the base.
- Place in the oven for 30 mins or until the little cake pin that you use to test if it’s cooked comes out clean.
- Allow to cool.
- Take the remaining coconut cream and whisk and whisk (I used my automatic, electronic, power-mazing immersion whisker) until it’s whipped up pretty good.
- Blend around 6 dates and ½ teaspoon vanilla and 1 tablespoon maple syrup. Whip it all up good together now. Whip it. That’s right, whip it!
- GENTLY, remove the cake from the spring-form tin (you made need to use the edge of a knife to separate the cake from the tin).
- Now go cray cray smothering that frosting all over the cake.